Trust History

Trust History

The Campbell Edwards Trust was established in 1922 in Melbourne, Victoria, by the late Robert Campbell Edwards.

Penniless when he arrived in Australia, over thirty years Robert had built a large real estate portfolio.  In 1922, he transferred significant Victorian property holdings to the newly created Campbell Edwards Trust, to be managed by a board of trustees for educational, religious and charitable purposes. You can read more about Robert’s story here.

Robert was the original Chairman of the Campbell Edwards Trust, and one of the original Trustees with six other appointees.

Over more than 90 years, the Trust has given millions of dollars to those in need. These donations have been sourced from income generated entirely from the Trust’s assets as bequeathed by Robert Campbell Edwards.

The Trust makes donations to registered charitable organisations whose programs and policies are in keeping with the Trust’s own priorities.  Some of the more notable partnerships that the Trust has formed over the years with charities can be viewed here.

Over its’ history, the Trust’s priorities have evolved in keeping with the trustees’ assessment of how they can best effect impactful social change and assistance.  Currently, the Trust focuses on programs that educate and assist young people, help families, provide food, shelter or clothing to those in need, assist indigenous Australians and which provide community support services. For more about who we support, see here.

Since its inception, more than 50 individuals have donated their time and energy as Trustees, doing their best to  carry on Robert’s vision. A list of the current and past Trustees is available here.